FAQ - Text Banking Questions
Alerts are processed at the top of every hour. You may not receive your alert immediately as the file can take some time to process.
Step 1: Login and Activate
Log into Online Banking and select Text Banking from the Profile menu. Register the mobile number we have on file for you or enter a new mobile phone number. Agree to the Terms and Conditions, then click Register.
Step 2: Verify your phone (make sure you have it with you!)
We will send you a text message with a unique activation code that you'll need to enter to complete the process. (This ensures that it's your phone number and it's in your possession.) Once verified select the accounts you would like to use with Text Banking. Be sure to designate your main account the Primary.
Step 3: Start texting
Now with your phone set up, just send a text message to 77592 whenever you want, and we'll send the response right back to your phone (it's just like texting your friends!) Here's a quick list of some of the common requests you can text:
- BAL — Current and available balances for a primary account you designate.
- HIST — The last five transactions in your primary account.
- BAL ALL — Current and available balances for all of your Text Banking enabled accounts.
Our Text Banking service is secure. You can activate the service only after logging into our Online Banking site. Text messages will never contain confidential information about you or your accounts. Messages will never contain full account numbers.
We won't charge you, but standard carrier fees for text messaging may apply. Please check with your mobile phone carrier if you aren't sure what fees apply when you send and receive text messages.
Yes it will, as long as you have text messaging enabled with your mobile carrier and use a carrier that the service supports. Please check with your mobile carrier if you are unsure.
Our Text Banking service works on all major mobile providers in the U.S., including the ones listed below.
- U.S. Cellular
There are many more carriers that support Text Banking. An extended list can be found on the Text Banking page in Online Banking.
You can text "stop" to 77592 on your activated mobile phone, or you can return to the Text Banking page in Online Banking and click the “Delete” link. Your phone will no longer receive any text messages from Text Banking. You can add a new phone at any time if you change your mind later.
Verifying your phone is a one-time step and is one way we ensure the security of mobile text messaging.
During setup we will send you a text message with your activation code. If you have already submitted your mobile number during setup, check your mobile device now. You should receive a text message with your activation code within a few minutes.
It might take several minutes to receive your code. If you feel you have waited long enough you can click the "Resend Activation Code" link. Please check your mobile device shortly for a new text message. If you are still experiencing problems be sure you entered in the correct mobile number during setup.
Yes, you can. If you experience difficulties we recommend that you go through the setup process again and get a new code.
Your primary account is the default account that we will use when you text a command to 77592. You should select the one you will likely want to check the most often. You can get the balances for all accounts enabled for Text Banking by texting BAL ALL to 77592.
Yes. When you text BAL ALL to 77592, we will reply with a message containing the balances of all accounts enabled for Text Banking.
Yes, you can. Simply return to the Text Banking page and select another account from Mobile Nicknames page.
Use any of the following commands/keywords:
- BAL = Primary account balance
- BAL <nickname> = Provides the balance of the account with the given nickname
- BAL ALL = All Text Banking enabled account balances
- HIST = Last 5 transactions
- MORE = 5 more transactions - can be repeated until no additional transactions are available
- TRANS = Transfer funds between Text Banking enabled accounts
- NICK = Returns a list of all Text Banking enabled account nicknames
- STOP = Deactivate service
- HELP = Returns a list of all commands
No, keywords are not case sensitive. You can type 'help' or 'HELP'.
The short code is 77592. This short code will only work if you have activated the Text Banking service.
You'll receive a text message response within a minute. Exact timing will depend on your mobile service carrier.
You don't need a password to access your account information via text message.
Call your mobile carrier to notify them your phone was lost. Then log into Online Banking and navigate to the Text Banking page. Click the “Delete” link. That will terminate the service for the mobile device. You can always return later and activate a new phone.
Yes. First, you need to deactivate your cell phone from within the Text Banking page by clicking Delete next to your phone number. Then you can register a new mobile phone number for Text Banking.
Yes. Text Banking offers the following alert types:
- Reminder Alert – Send yourself a reminder for a specific date and time
- Balance Alert – Receive an alert when either the Available Balance or Actual Balance of the account changes
- Check Cleared Alert – Receive an alert when a specific Check Number clears the selected account
- Daily Balance Alert – Receive a daily balance alert with either the Available Balance or Actual Balance and specify the alert delivery time
- Loan Due Alert
- Receive an alert a specified number of days before the loan payment is due
- Receive an alert when the selected loan is past due. Choose to receive additional reminders after a specified number of days
- Maturity Alert
- Receive an alert a specified number of days before the account reaches maturity
- Receive an alert when the account reaches maturity. Choose to receive additional reminders after a specified number of days
- Transaction Alert – Receive an alert for specific transaction types
- Secure Message Alert – Receive an alert when Gate City Bank sends a new Secure Message
- Card Alert – Receive an alert for the following criteria:
- All transactions
- Transactions over a specified amount
- International transactions
- Specific merchant types
- Specific transaction types
- Note: alerts must be set up for each card individually
Yes. You can transfer funds to and from any account enabled for text banking. Use the following format:
Trans <from acct nickname> <to acct nickname> <amount to transfer XX.XX>
Ex: Trans Chk Sav 10.00 would transfer $10 from checking to savings
A message will be returned upon a successful transfer.
Yes, after you set up the first number you can select the "Add Phone" button below your mobile phone number on the Text Banking page and then complete the process to add a second number.